Your library card is your passport to our library and its online resources. You may also use your library card at any MURAL library.
To get a library card at the Hillside Public Library, you need proof that you live in town (Driver’s License or other valid photo identification with a Hillside address, plus one of the following:
- NJ Motor vehicle registration or insurance
- NJ state Senior Citizens ID
- Rental or lease agreement
- Utility bill (telephone, electric, cable) addressed to the applicant
- Bank statement addressed to the applicant
- Credit card statement addressed to the applicant
If under age 18, you will need a parent/guardian signature when applying for a card.
Your first card is free. It is a wallet card and key chain card set. There is a charge of $1.50 for a replacement wallet card. Key chain cards are not available for replacement.
Cards are renewed every two years. You must have your actual library card with you to borrow materials or use the computers.
DO NOT LEND YOUR CARD TO ANYONE. You are responsible for anything borrowed on your card.
The number on the back of your library card is unique to you and is your means of accessing our catalog and online resources from outside the library. In addition to your bar code number you also have a PIN (Personal Identification Number). In most cases, the PIN is the last 4 digits of your library card. You may call us to verify your PIN. The library card number and the PIN will allow you to::
- Search our catalog
- Reserve materials
- Check your library account
- Renew your books
- Research the online databases
- Log on to use the library’s in-house computers
If you have any questions or problems, or need help accessing our catalog, call us or stop by the library during regular library hours.